The movement called "Methodism" was founded in the mid 1700s by Englishman John Wesley. Methodism in Dumont started in 1901 with a small German Mission Sunday School. Rapid growth led to several successively larger church locations until the opening of the present facility in 1952. From its inception, Calvary UMC has been a "serving church" providing a home to Scouts, community organizations, recovery groups, and even the Dumont schoolchildren when nearby Lincoln School was overcrowded. Calvary has sponsored refugees from Hungary and Ethiopia and sent work teams to Haiti and Appalachia. Six members have served full time as missionaries and four have become ordained clergy.
United Methodism has a very rich and exciting history with an even greater present and future. We are people of hope and action. For more information about our denomination's beliefs, structure, and practices throughout the world and United States, please speak to our Pastor or go to these links:
(for the worldwide church)
(for the Greater NJ Annual Conference)